Wednesday, September 21, 2011

9.21.11


 Freshman Homework 9.21.11
 

Today we learned about how to begin constructing a basic thesis essay. You came up with a very basic thesis statement and three main idea statements (m1-m3). Your partner came up with three questions (q1--q3) based on the data you provided.


Tonight: Answer those three questions (a1-a3)and select an article that provides information on your thesis.  Print it out--don't forget!--and bring it into class with you tomorrow.

Have a great night!






 Sophomore Homework 9.21.11
 
Please read the following excerpt. 
As you read you will notice certain words have been highlighted.
After you have finished reading, I would like you to "Do now" them: 
1) copy down the highlighted words 
2) record the definition for the words and
3) create a sentence using that word. 

After completing this activity, please answer the guided questions that follow. 
Keep in mind that each answer should not only address the question completely, but also include "evidence to support [your] analysis" in the form of quotations from the text.

 Macbeth

SCENE III.



[Thunder. Enter the three Witches]
  • First Witch. A sailor's wife had chestnuts in her lap, 
    And munch'd, and munch'd, and munch'd:— 
    'Give me,' quoth I: 
    'Aroint thee, witch!' the rump-fed ronyon cries. 
    Her husband's to Aleppo gone, master o' the Tiger: 105
    But in a sieve I'll thither sail, 
    And, like a rat without a tail, 
    I'll do, I'll do, and I'll do.
  • First Witch. I myself have all the other, 
    And the very ports they blow, 
    All the quarters that they know 
    I' the shipman's card. 115
    I will drain him dry as hay: 
    Sleep shall neither night nor day 
    Hang upon his pent-house lid; 
    He shall live a man forbid: 
    Weary se'nnights nine times nine 120
    Shall he dwindle, peak and pine: 
    Though his bark cannot be lost, 
    Yet it shall be tempest-tost. 
    Look what I have.
  • First Witch. Here I have a pilot's thumb, 
    Wreck'd as homeward he did come.
[Drum within]
  • All. The weird sisters, hand in hand, 
    Posters of the sea and land, 
    Thus do go about, about: 
    Thrice to thine and thrice to mine 
    And thrice again, to make up nine. 135
    Peace! the charm's wound up.
[Enter MACBETH and BANQUO]
  • Macbeth. So foul and fair a day I have not seen.
  • Banquo. How far is't call'd to Forres? What are these 
    So wither'd and so wild in their attire, 140
    That look not like the inhabitants o' the earth, 
    And yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught 
    That man may question? You seem to understand me, 
    By each at once her chappy finger laying 
    Upon her skinny lips: you should be women, 145
    And yet your beards forbid me to interpret 
    That you are so.
  • Macbeth. Speak, if you can: what are you?
  • First Witch. All hail, Macbeth! hail to thee, thane of Glamis!
  • Second Witch. All hail, Macbeth, hail to thee, thane of Cawdor!150
  • Third Witch. All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be king hereafter!
  • Banquo. Good sir, why do you start; and seem to fear 
    Things that do sound so fair? I' the name of truth, 
    Are ye fantastical, or that indeed 
    Which outwardly ye show? My noble partner 155
    You greet with present grace and great prediction 
    Of noble having and of royal hope, 
    That he seems rapt withal: to me you speak not. 
    If you can look into the seeds of time, 
    And say which grain will grow and which will not, 160
    Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear 
    Your favours nor your hate.
  • Third Witch. Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none: 
    So all hail, Macbeth and Banquo!
  • Macbeth. Stay, you imperfect speakers, tell me more: 
    By Sinel's death I know I am thane of Glamis; 
    But how of Cawdor? the thane of Cawdor lives, 
    A prosperous gentleman; and to be king 
    Stands not within the prospect of belief, 175
    No more than to be Cawdor. Say from whence 
    You owe this strange intelligence? or why 
    Upon this blasted heath you stop our way 
    With such prophetic greeting? Speak, I charge you.
[Witches vanish]
  • Banquo. The earth hath bubbles, as the water has, 
    And these are of them. Whither are they vanish'd?
  • Macbeth. Into the air; and what seem'd corporal melted 
    As breath into the wind. Would they had stay'd!
  • Banquo. Were such things here as we do speak about? 185
    Or have we eaten on the insane root 
    That takes the reason prisoner?
  • Macbeth. Your children shall be kings.
  • Macbeth. And thane of Cawdor too: went it not so?190
  • Banquo. To the selfsame tune and words. Who's here?
[Enter ROSS and ANGUS]
  • Ross. The king hath happily received, Macbeth, 
    The news of thy success; and when he reads 
    Thy personal venture in the rebels' fight, 195
    His wonders and his praises do contend 
    Which should be thine or his: silenced with that, 
    In viewing o'er the rest o' the selfsame day, 
    He finds thee in the stout Norweyan ranks, 
    Nothing afeard of what thyself didst make, 200
    Strange images of death. As thick as hail 
    Came post with post; and every one did bear 
    Thy praises in his kingdom's great defence, 
    And pour'd them down before him.
  • Angus. We are sent 205
    To give thee from our royal master thanks; 
    Only to herald thee into his sight, 
    Not pay thee.
  • Ross. And, for an earnest of a greater honour, 
    He bade me, from him, call thee thane of Cawdor: 210
    In which addition, hail, most worthy thane! 
    For it is thine.
  • Banquo. What, can the devil speak true?
  • Macbeth. The thane of Cawdor lives: why do you dress me 
    In borrow'd robes?215
  • Angus. Who was the thane lives yet; 
    But under heavy judgment bears that life 
    Which he deserves to lose. Whether he was combined 
    With those of Norway, or did line the rebel 
    With hidden help and vantage, or that with both 220
    He labour'd in his country's wreck, I know not; 
    But treasons capital, confess'd and proved, 
    Have overthrown him.
  • Macbeth. [Aside] Glamis, and thane of Cawdor! 
    The greatest is behind. 225
    [To ROSS and ANGUS] 
    Thanks for your pains. 
    [To BANQUO] 
    Do you not hope your children shall be kings, 
    When those that gave the thane of Cawdor to me 230
    Promised no less to them?
  • Banquo. That trusted home 
    Might yet enkindle you unto the crown, 
    Besides the thane of Cawdor. But 'tis strange: 
    And oftentimes, to win us to our harm, 235
    The instruments of darkness tell us truths, 
    Win us with honest trifles, to betray's 
    In deepest consequence. 
    Cousins, a word, I pray you.
  • Macbeth. [Aside]. Two truths are told, 240
    As happy prologues to the swelling act 
    Of the imperial theme.—I thank you, gentlemen. 
    [Aside] This supernatural soliciting] 
    Cannot be ill, cannot be good: if ill, 
    Why hath it given me earnest of success, 245
    Commencing in a truth? I am thane of Cawdor: 
    If good, why do I yield to that suggestion 
    Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair 
    And make my seated heart knock at my ribs, 
    Against the use of nature? Present fears 250
    Are less than horrible imaginings: 
    My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical, 
    Shakes so my single state of man that function 
    Is smother'd in surmise, and nothing is 
    But what is not.255
  • Banquo. Look, how our partner's rapt.
  • Macbeth. [Aside] If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me, 
    Without my stir.
  • Banquo. New horrors come upon him, 
    Like our strange garments, cleave not to their mould 260
    But with the aid of use.
  • Macbeth. [Aside] Come what come may, 
    Time and the hour runs through the roughest day.
  • Banquo. Worthy Macbeth, we stay upon your leisure.
  • Macbeth. Give me your favour: my dull brain was wrought 265
    With things forgotten. Kind gentlemen, your pains 
    Are register'd where every day I turn 
    The leaf to read them. Let us toward the king. 
    Think upon what hath chanced, and, at more time, 
    The interim having weigh'd it, let us speak 270
    Our free hearts each to other.
  • Macbeth. Till then, enough. Come, friends.
[Exeunt]



1. List four superstitions about witches revealed in the conversation of the witches at the beginning of this scene.
2. What was Macbeth’s reaction to the prophecy that he would be king? Explain why he reacted in this way.
3. When did Macbeth begin to take the witches’ prophecies seriously?




 Senior Homework 9.21.11
 
Please read the following excerpt. 
As you read you will notice certain words have been highlighted.
After you have finished reading, I would like you to "Do now" them: 
1) copy down the highlighted words 
2) record the definition for the words and
3) create a sentence using that word. 

After completing this activity, please answer the guided questions that follow. 
Keep in mind that each answer should not only address the question completely, but also include "evidence to support [your] analysis" in the form of quotations from the text.


Hamlet

Act I, Scene 2
Elsinore. A room of state in the Castle.


Flourish. [Enter Claudius, King of Denmark, Gertrude the Queen, Hamlet, Polonius, Laertes and his sister Ophelia, [Voltemand, Cornelius,] Lords Attendant.
  • Claudius. Though yet of Hamlet our dear brother's death 
    The memory be green, and that it us befitted 
    To bear our hearts in grief, and our whole kingdom 
    To be contracted in one brow of woe, 
    Yet so far hath discretion fought with nature 205
    That we with wisest sorrow think on him 
    Together with remembrance of ourselves. 
    Therefore our sometime sister, now our queen, 
    Th' imperial jointress to this warlike state, 
    Have we, as 'twere with a defeated joy, 210
    With an auspicious, and a dropping eye, 
    With mirth in funeral, and with dirge in marriage, 
    In equal scale weighing delight and dole, 
    Taken to wife; nor have we herein barr'd 
    Your better wisdoms, which have freely gone 215
    With this affair along. For all, our thanks. 
    Now follows, that you know, young Fortinbras, 
    Holding a weak supposal of our worth, 
    Or thinking by our late dear brother's death 
    Our state to be disjoint and out of frame, 220
    Colleagued with this dream of his advantage, 
    He hath not fail'd to pester us with message 
    Importing the surrender of those lands 
    Lost by his father, with all bands of law, 
    To our most valiant brother. So much for him. 225
    Now for ourself and for this time of meeting. 
    Thus much the business is: we have here writ 
    To Norway, uncle of young Fortinbras, 
    Who, impotent and bedrid, scarcely hears 
    Of this his nephew's purpose, to suppress 230
    His further gait herein, in that the levies, 
    The lists, and full proportions are all made 
    Out of his subject; and we here dispatch 
    You, good Cornelius, and you, Voltemand, 
    For bearers of this greeting to old Norway, 235
    Giving to you no further personal power 
    To business with the King, more than the scope 
    Of these dilated articles allow. [Gives a paper.] 
    Farewell, and let your haste commend your duty.
  • Cornelius. [with Voltemand] In that, and all things, will we show our duty.240
  • Claudius. We doubt it nothing. Heartily farewell. 
    [Exeunt Voltemand and Cornelius.] 
    And now, Laertes, what's the news with you? 
    You told us of some suit. What is't, Laertes? 
    You cannot speak of reason to the Dane 245
    And lose your voice. What wouldst thou beg, Laertes, 
    That shall not be my offer, not thy asking? 
    The head is not more native to the heart, 
    The hand more instrumental to the mouth, 
    Than is the throne of Denmark to thy father. 250
    What wouldst thou have, Laertes?
  • Laertes. My dread lord, 
    Your leave and favour to return to France; 
    From whence though willingly I came to Denmark 
    To show my duty in your coronation, 255
    Yet now I must confess, that duty done, 
    My thoughts and wishes bend again toward France 
    And bow them to your gracious leave and pardon.
  • Claudius. Have you your father's leave? What says Polonius?
  • Polonius. He hath, my lord, wrung from me my slow leave 260
    By laboursome petition, and at last 
    Upon his will I seal'd my hard consent. 
    I do beseech you give him leave to go.
  • Claudius. Take thy fair hour, Laertes. Time be thine, 
    And thy best graces spend it at thy will! 265
    But now, my cousin Hamlet, and my son-
  • Hamlet. [aside] A little more than kin, and less than kind!
  • Claudius. How is it that the clouds still hang on you?
  • Hamlet. Not so, my lord. I am too much i' th' sun.
  • Gertrude. Good Hamlet, cast thy nighted colour off, 270
    And let thine eye look like a friend on Denmark. 
    Do not for ever with thy vailed lids 
    Seek for thy noble father in the dust. 
    Thou know'st 'tis common. All that lives must die, 
    Passing through nature to eternity.275
  • Hamlet. Ay, madam, it is common.
  • Gertrude. If it be, 
    Why seems it so particular with thee?
  • Hamlet. Seems, madam, Nay, it is. I know not 'seems.' 
    'Tis not alone my inky cloak, good mother, 280
    Nor customary suits of solemn black, 
    Nor windy suspiration of forc'd breath, 
    No, nor the fruitful river in the eye, 
    Nor the dejected havior of the visage, 
    Together with all forms, moods, shapes of grief, 285
    'That can denote me truly. These indeed seem, 
    For they are actions that a man might play; 
    But I have that within which passeth show- 
    These but the trappings and the suits of woe.
  • Claudius. 'Tis sweet and commendable in your nature, Hamlet, 290
    To give these mourning duties to your father; 
    But you must know, your father lost a father; 
    That father lost, lost his, and the survivor bound 
    In filial obligation for some term 
    To do obsequious sorrow. But to persever 295
    In obstinate condolement is a course 
    Of impious stubbornness. 'Tis unmanly grief; 
    It shows a will most incorrect to heaven, 
    A heart unfortified, a mind impatient, 
    An understanding simple and unschool'd; 300
    For what we know must be, and is as common 
    As any the most vulgar thing to sense, 
    Why should we in our peevish opposition 
    Take it to heart? Fie! 'tis a fault to heaven, 
    A fault against the dead, a fault to nature, 305
    To reason most absurd, whose common theme 
    Is death of fathers, and who still hath cried, 
    From the first corse till he that died to-day, 
    'This must be so.' We pray you throw to earth 
    This unprevailing woe, and think of us 310
    As of a father; for let the world take note 
    You are the most immediate to our throne, 
    And with no less nobility of love 
    Than that which dearest father bears his son 
    Do I impart toward you. For your intent 315
    In going back to school in Wittenberg, 
    It is most retrograde to our desire; 
    And we beseech you, bend you to remain 
    Here in the cheer and comfort of our eye, 
    Our chiefest courtier, cousin, and our son.320
  • Gertrude. Let not thy mother lose her prayers, Hamlet. 
    I pray thee stay with us, go not to Wittenberg.
  • Hamlet. I shall in all my best obey you, madam.
  • Claudius. Why, 'tis a loving and a fair reply. 
    Be as ourself in Denmark. Madam, come. 325
    This gentle and unforc'd accord of Hamlet 
    Sits smiling to my heart; in grace whereof, 
    No jocund health that Denmark drinks to-day 
    But the great cannon to the clouds shall tell, 
    And the King's rouse the heaven shall bruit again, 330
    Respeaking earthly thunder. Come away.
Flourish. Exeunt all but Hamlet.
  • Hamlet. O that this too too solid flesh would melt, 
    Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew! 
    Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd 335
    His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God! 
    How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable 
    Seem to me all the uses of this world! 
    Fie on't! ah, fie! 'Tis an unweeded garden 
    That grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature 340
    Possess it merely. That it should come to this! 
    But two months dead! Nay, not so much, not two. 
    So excellent a king, that was to this 
    Hyperion to a satyr; so loving to my mother 
    That he might not beteem the winds of heaven 345
    Visit her face too roughly. Heaven and earth! 
    Must I remember? Why, she would hang on him 
    As if increase of appetite had grown 
    By what it fed on; and yet, within a month- 
    Let me not think on't! Frailty, thy name is woman!- 350
    A little month, or ere those shoes were old 
    With which she followed my poor father's body 
    Like Niobe, all tears- why she, even she 
    (O God! a beast that wants discourse of reason 
    Would have mourn'd longer) married with my uncle; 355
    My father's brother, but no more like my father 
    Than I to Hercules. Within a month, 
    Ere yet the salt of most unrighteous tears 
    Had left the flushing in her galled eyes, 
    She married. O, most wicked speed, to post 360
    With such dexterity to incestuous sheets! 
    It is not, nor it cannot come to good. 
    But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue!
Enter Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo.
  • Horatio. Hail to your lordship!365
  • Hamlet. I am glad to see you well. 
    Horatio!- or I do forget myself.
  • Horatio. The same, my lord, and your poor servant ever.
  • Hamlet. Sir, my good friend- I'll change that name with you. 
    And what make you from Wittenberg, Horatio? 370
    Marcellus?
  • Hamlet. I am very glad to see you.- [To Bernardo] Good even, sir.- 
    But what, in faith, make you from Wittenberg?
  • Horatio. A truant disposition, good my lord.375
  • Hamlet. I would not hear your enemy say so, 
    Nor shall you do my ear that violence 
    To make it truster of your own report 
    Against yourself. I know you are no truant. 
    But what is your affair in Elsinore? 380
    We'll teach you to drink deep ere you depart.
  • Horatio. My lord, I came to see your father's funeral.
  • Hamlet. I prithee do not mock me, fellow student. 
    I think it was to see my mother's wedding.
  • Horatio. Indeed, my lord, it followed hard upon.385
  • Hamlet. Thrift, thrift, Horatio! The funeral bak'd meats 
    Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables. 
    Would I had met my dearest foe in heaven 
    Or ever I had seen that day, Horatio! 
    My father- methinks I see my father.390
  • Hamlet. In my mind's eye, Horatio.
  • Horatio. I saw him once. He was a goodly king.
  • Hamlet. He was a man, take him for all in all. 
    I shall not look upon his like again.395
  • Horatio. My lord, I think I saw him yesternight.
  • Horatio. My lord, the King your father.
  • Horatio. Season your admiration for a while 400
    With an attent ear, till I may deliver 
    Upon the witness of these gentlemen, 
    This marvel to you.
  • Hamlet. For God's love let me hear!
  • Horatio. Two nights together had these gentlemen 405
    (Marcellus and Bernardo) on their watch 
    In the dead vast and middle of the night 
    Been thus encount'red. A figure like your father, 
    Armed at point exactly, cap-a-pe, 
    Appears before them and with solemn march 410
    Goes slow and stately by them. Thrice he walk'd 
    By their oppress'd and fear-surprised eyes, 
    Within his truncheon's length; whilst they distill'd 
    Almost to jelly with the act of fear, 
    Stand dumb and speak not to him. This to me 415
    In dreadful secrecy impart they did, 
    And I with them the third night kept the watch; 
    Where, as they had deliver'd, both in time, 
    Form of the thing, each word made true and good, 
    The apparition comes. I knew your father. 420
    These hands are not more like.
  • Marcellus. My lord, upon the platform where we watch'd.
  • Hamlet. Did you not speak to it?
  • Horatio. My lord, I did; 425
    But answer made it none. Yet once methought 
    It lifted up it head and did address 
    Itself to motion, like as it would speak; 
    But even then the morning cock crew loud, 
    And at the sound it shrunk in haste away 430
    And vanish'd from our sight.
  • Horatio. As I do live, my honour'd lord, 'tis true; 
    And we did think it writ down in our duty 
    To let you know of it.435
  • Hamlet. Indeed, indeed, sirs. But this troubles me. 
    Hold you the watch to-night?
  • Marcellus. [with Bernardo] We do, my lord.
  • Marcellus. [with Bernardo] Arm'd, my lord.440
  • Marcellus. [with Bernardo] My lord, from head to foot.
  • Hamlet. Then saw you not his face?
  • Horatio. O, yes, my lord! He wore his beaver up.
  • Hamlet. What, look'd he frowningly.445
  • Horatio. A countenance more in sorrow than in anger.
  • Hamlet. And fix'd his eyes upon you?
  • Hamlet. I would I had been there.
  • Horatio. It would have much amaz'd you.
  • Hamlet. Very like, very like. Stay'd it long?
  • Horatio. While one with moderate haste might tell a hundred.
  • Marcellus. [with Bernardo] Longer, longer.455
  • Hamlet. His beard was grizzled- no?
  • Horatio. It was, as I have seen it in his life, 
    A sable silver'd.
  • Hamlet. I will watch to-night. 460
    Perchance 'twill walk again.
  • Hamlet. If it assume my noble father's person, 
    I'll speak to it, though hell itself should gape 
    And bid me hold my peace. I pray you all, 465
    If you have hitherto conceal'd this sight, 
    Let it be tenable in your silence still; 
    And whatsoever else shall hap to-night, 
    Give it an understanding but no tongue. 
    I will requite your loves. So, fare you well. 470
    Upon the platform, 'twixt eleven and twelve, 
    I'll visit you.
  • All. Our duty to your honour.
  • Hamlet. Your loves, as mine to you. Farewell. 
    [Exeunt [all but Hamlet].] 475
    My father's spirit- in arms? All is not well. 
    I doubt some foul play. Would the night were come! 
    Till then sit still, my soul. Foul deeds will rise, 
    Though all the earth o'erwhelm them, to men's eyes.
Questions:


1. What news does King Claudius announce at the opening of scene 2?
2. Why does Claudius want Hamlet to remain at court?
3. About how long has Hamlet's father been dead?
4. At the end of scene 2, what is Hamlet's plan?










No comments:

Post a Comment